Monday, September 14, 2009

"Still Waiting, For This World To Stop Hating"


As a child, I always cried in movies where a character gets bullied or picked on. Dumbo, for instance, made me cry so much because of the way he was treated. Today is no different. I watched two movies this past weekend that made me cry so much because of the way the characters were treated for their differences. The Secret Life of Bees and The Boy In The Striped Pajamas.
I just can't understand how people can be persecuted for being different in any way. Whether it be race, religion, heritage, sexual orientation, weight, income, anything all the way down to clothing. What makes it okay for people to hate another person for being different? We are all humans beings, and it makes me incredibly sad to know that still, to this day, people are being treated differently.
No one should be discriminated against.
People today like to think that they would never let genocide happen again, but what about the horrible situation in Darfur?
So many people around the world are being abused in so many different ways, emotionally, physically, and it is depressing to know that some people will always hate someone for not being the same way they are.
I know that I am just one person, and I can't change the world, but every day I try to spread positivity, and show compassion to the people around me. Everyone needs a friend, or even a smile and a nice "hello" to a stranger can turn a person's day around.
Yes, I know it may sound lame, and it isn't saving anyone but honestly, we all just need to be kinder to each other and understand that there is not just one way to live. So please, go out and be nice to everyone you come in contact with, even if you are in a bad mood, no one wants to be with someone who is rude. Just remember to accept everyone and their differences. You don't have to agree with them, but you should be tolerant.

I really want to do more to help on a broader scope, I want to do more charity work and fundraising. So if you know of any good ones let me know. I have just signed up for the Los Angeles AIDS WALK. And I am very excited. Come walk with me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment