Monday, August 24, 2009

"ABC Easy As 123"

As I am writing my lesson plan for the week I have to stop and think, "Is this too hard for the kids?"
I work at two different elementary schools, both in the same school district, which means both cover the exact same curriculum, yet the kids are drastically different. One school's student body is filled with children of wealth, while the other is filled with kids who have parents that can barely speak English and have a low income.
All of them are great kids, but at the low income school, it is hard because most of the kids can't read, mind you I am taking care of 1st and 2nd grade, most of them can barely copy what I write on the board, let alone follow a simple instruction in an art lesson. When helping them with their homework they really struggle, and I know I have to help them as much as I can and get them to complete and understand it because their parents will not be much help. I know all their parents, and yes they are good people, but the majority of them have to have their kids speak for them because they can't speak English. So how are they going to help their child read the directions if they can barely read them?
It really just shows how different a child's learning curve can be changed by the way they are brought up.
At the more wealthy school the kids have no problems with reading and writing, well there is the occasional child who can't focus, but all kids go through that. But what they might find simple is more difficult for the children at the other school.
When I was in school and taking those big end of the year tests that take days and by the end of it you never want to fill-in another bubble, I never understood why you had to fill in your parent's education level. But now I understand because it really does effect the child. I guess that is why after school programs, like the one I work at, were developed. I am glad if I can help in any way in furthering a child's education. I'm determined to have them read, and actually enjoy it. Even if I only end up helping one child, I will be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment